With assistance from experts throughout the country in a wide range of topics ASC offers consulting to meet your needs in a variety of issues including but not limited to:
ASC can assist your college or university when you are considering making adjustments within your intercollegiate athletics program that will impact the way you do business for years to come. Our experienced group of professionals will explore all possibilities and give you the information you need to know to make the proper decisions. We will have individuals who have lived through the same processes work on your study. We can assist you with studies which relate to:
- Transitioning from one Division/National Affiliation membership to another
- Our studies have helped institutions decide on transitioning from NAIA to NCAA and from NCAA II to NCAA I. We have also assisted universities determine that a move was not in the best interest of the institution at this time and what should be worked on to make their current situation the best it can be.
- Determining the most affective Conference Alignment for your institution
- With the knowledge of a former NCAA II Conference Commissioner and NCAA I Associate Commissioner, we know the ins and outs of conference affiliation. Our studies have helped determine what is best for institutions in terms of cost, competition, travel, academic fit, etc.
- These studies will determine your needs and help prevent you from making mistakes you will regret for years to come. Our staff has helped build millions of dollars worth of facilities and will provide you all of the aspects of building you should consider.
- Adding or Dropping Sports
- There are no tougher decisions than to add or abolish sports. It is always helpful when an outside firm objectively provides all the facts so the institution can make this very serious decision. We will look at all aspects (finances, facilities, personnel, student welfare, public relations, etc.) and give you the information you need to make an informed decision.
ASC has conducted many of these studies and is very cognizant of how important they are in determining the future of your program and institution. Our staff has been the Conference Commissioner or Athletics Director who has firsthand experience in these changes and knows what is needed in the studies to assist in making informed decisions. We know where to find benchmarking data; we know who to ask and what questions to ask on campus visits; and we know how to compile and present the data in a way that is clear and understandable to all interested constituencies.
Knowing the direction you are heading is critical for any athletics department to move forward in a positive manner. You want the entire staff and the student-athletes who represent you to have a similar vision and understand how you plan on working to attain that vision. How will ASC assist you determine a vision that everyone at your college or university is excited about? We first will learn the history of the department and see what has been successful, what needs tweaking, and what needs to be revamped. We will determine what is important to your institution and find out ways to get you to where you want to be. We will do this through:
- Campus visits – discussions and documentations reviews with executive administrators, athletic department administrators, coaches, student-athletes, and other pertinent constituencies
- Benchmarking and comparisons with other colleges and universities with similar visions.
- Compilation of data which will help us determine the overall vision and goals and objectives that should be developed.
- The final study will be a concise document that will set goals and objectives, determine responsibilities and timelines, and recommend the best ways to implement the plan.
It is important to have outside eyes look at how your college or university complies with the NCAA, conference, and institution policies and procedures. We will visit your campus and review documents and discuss issues with executive administrators, athletic department administrators, coaches, student-athletes, admissions personnel, financial aid personnel, registrar personnel, and other constituencies. Our team will be able to determine what is working for you and what can be improved for you to be in compliance.
NCAA/NAIA Reclassification Studies and Transition Assistance
ASC specializes in studies for your institution reclassifying from one NCAA Division to another or if your institution is moving from NAIA to NCAA. ASC has helped institutions make these transitions and has even assisted in many institutions receiving years waived from the NCAA transition period. ASC staffers have been the Director of Athletics Director and participated in transitions from NAIA to NCAA and from NCAA II to NCAA I. Our experience serving on the NCAA Membership Committee and Management Council will assist us in preparing reclassification studies and afford you outstanding transition assistance.
- Membership Expansion
- Office Set-up for full-time operation
- Fundraising corporate sponsorship strategies
Conference Membership Options
With the knowledge of a former NCAA II Conference Commissioner and NCAA I Associate Commissioner, we know the ins and outs of conference affiliation. Our studies and advice have helped determine what is best for institutions in terms of cost, competition, travel, academic fit, etc.
Title IX, Gender Equity Reviews
About every five years your athletics department should have an outside organization conduct a Title IX and gender equity review. It is extremely important to be proactive in making sure that your institution is in compliance with Title IX regulations and that you have gender equity throughout your department. ASC can determine what you are doing correctly and what areas need improvement. We can also develop a plan to change policies and procedures which will better your department. We can help prevent issues before they may happen. We will conduct these reviews with campus visits where we will review documentation and have discussions with executive administrators, athletics administrators, coaches, student-athletes and other pertinent constituencies.
Workplace Sensitivity Training
Having a workplace that people are comfortable with is very important in making your athletics department successful. We will set up a plan to help make your workplace environment that is acceptable to all. We can do this through Workplace Sensitivity Training sessions.
Policy & Procedure Manual/Student Handbook Assistance
Every athletics department should have a comprehensive policies and procedures manual and student handbook. It is important administrators, coaches, and student-athletes understand what is expected of them, and a policy & procedures manual and student handbook should make this clear. ASC can write either document from scratch or “tweak” your current manual or handbook.
Facility Enhancement Studies
Don’t build something you will regret a week after you open it. We at ASC can help your college or university determine the facility that is right for you. We will visit your campus and determine what the facilities will be used for in the short and long terms. We will look at your budget and help you with architectural firms and builders. We will assist you with the architects who will develop your vision on paper.
Every college or university needs a fundraising strategy. We at ASC can assist you to maximize your potential when raising money for your athletics department. We have a history of dramatically increasing fundraising that you may use for scholarships, facilities, personnel or operations. ASC has been very successful in helping institutions find new money and increase gifts from previous donors.